Thursday 11 July 2013

‘Oh Lordy’ from Funk Estate

Well, having just come back from a beer tasting weekend in Wellington “the microbrewery capital of NZ?” I’m pretty well hopped out with new knowledge in that NZ small breweries can make some excellent ales and England can make terrible ales and this might be why England is more regarded for her bitters and stouts? So therefore first cab off the ramp was the ‘Oh Lordy’ from Funk Estate.

Once again I don’t read the cool label so as not to be influenced by any of their blurb on what they think they have created. Having said this, I always read the label before purchasing a beer, as the picture and writing are the only clues I get as to what I’m buying and it’s always the picture that will grab my attention and certainly, the Oh lordy label ‘will’ grab your attention.

On first pour I’m always careful as I don’t know whether the brew will instantly froth-up and spill over the top of the glass or what, however on this occasion there is very little reaction from the beer at all. No worries, I never worry about whether it’s got a head or not, it’s only the taste that matters. Well maybe a few bubbles as well, as this does something to the back of your throat whilst drinking which enhances the experience but very little effervescence here. It does however, have a beautiful clear amber colour which looks very appetising.

First smell and instantly I get a subtle hop smell that I would expect from a pale ale and thankfully do get a mild hop flavour upon first mouthful. This hop flavour is not like the usual Moutere sharp citrusy bitterness but almost an orangey mellowness with a pleasant malty milo hint. This is when I read the blurb on the label to see Funk Estate’s opinion… Munich malt, biscuity passion fruit, citrusy grapes, oh well, close enough.

For me, this brew is very drinkable, not overly powering like some of the boutique breweries products, yet has much more flavour than any commercial brew. Depending on its price, I would be happy to buy a half dozen to drink whilst being entertained with a good old England NZ rugby test!

Out of 10 score, 6.5

Could have been a 7 if it wasn’t so flat.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment